o maintain, repair, and operate the Exira Station to sustain its highest level of operating status and availability; and perform various activities such as planning, contract administration, regulatory compliance, reporting, purchasing, documentation, and related duties for the plant by performing the following duties:
1. Implements MRES administrative and Generation Department policies, procedures and programs at the Exira Station.
2. Responsible for personnel safety at the Exira Station; implements safety policies and procedures, and insures personnel are implementing safe work practices at Exira Station; to include but not limited to observing, enforcing and working in accordance with MRES approved safety practices and procedures; and stopping work or correction of unsafe conditions stemming from onsite contractor activities.
3. Performs many duties of the Exira Plant Manager and acts on his/her behalf during the manager’s absence.
4. Functions as control room and plant operator; starting and stopping units and associated auxiliary systems and equipment, and coordinates energy generation with the MRES Energy Schedulers; to include but not limited to taking and reporting readings of various plant equipment and systems, monitors, acknowledges and responds to alarms and faults from the plant control system and takes the appropriate actions to clear the alarms and faults.
5. Plans, inspects, evaluates, directs and performs the testing, troubleshooting, and repairs for corrective and preventative maintenance associated with the mechanical, electrical and fuel systems and equipment, and facilities and grounds in accordance with manufacturer and industrial practices.
6. Works proficiently with control systems and peripheral devices which include but are not limited to: Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s), Distributive Control Systems (DCS’s), and other various process control devices.
7. Plans, coordinates, installs, oversees projects and contract administration of equipment modification and improvements, which include managing outside contractors.
8. Purchases supplies and materials, receipt, inspection and documentation of supplies and materials utilizing the Asset Management System.
9. Maintains the Enterprise Asset Management System.
10. Interfaces with and is responsible for development and implementation of procedures, and retention of necessary documentation to ensure compliance with NERC, IDNR and EPA requirements.
11. Performs regulatory and environmental compliance reporting, testing, calibration and documentation.
12. Directs, performs the upkeep and maintenance of plant spare parts, consumable items, and inventory records.
13. Develops, evaluates, and implements operational control and monitoring procedures and programs to insure longevity and reliable operating units.
14. Interfaces with outside civil authorities and maintains good public relations with residents, business and other utility personnel.
15. Supplements other MRES generation assets staff workload as directed.
16. Assists in developing departmental budget requirements.
17. Creates and maintains permanent documentation of projects, data, and software related to this position.
18. Keeps abreast of relevant professional, industry, and inter?utility developments as it applies to the position.
19. Participates in continuous improvement, strategic planning, and succession planning initiatives.
20. Responds to on-call situations in accordance with the plant’s on-call policy on a rotational basis.
Education and/or Experience - Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical or military training related to the essential duties and ten or more years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Reading Skills - Ability to proficiently read and comprehend technical documents, specifications, and drawings; understanding of process and control drawings, electrical one-line diagrams, and relay and metering one-line diagrams.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Inventory software; Work Order processing systems and Project Management software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations - Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. Must possess a forklift operator certification or ability to obtain within 3 months from date of hire. Able to be certified as a Method 9 Visible Emissions Evaluator within 6 months from date of hire.
Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) is an organization of 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electrical distribution systems. We are dedicated to supplying our member municipalities with reliable, cost effective, long-term energy and energy services in a fiscally responsible and environmentally sensitive manner.